Simple Steps To A Healthier Life®
As an Aetna member, you have access to a host of free wellness resources and programs that help you live your healthiest! Simple Steps To A Healthier Life is an online wellness program that gives you information, tools and guidance to improve your diet, get in shape, cope with stress and learn about ways to enjoy better health at all stages of life. Here’s how it works:
Step 1 — Complete the Health AssessmentThe Health Assessment takes just 10 minutes to complete. You answer questions about personal and family health history, lifestyle habits, recent health screening results and other health factors. If you completed the Assessment in last year, you will only have to update it. Many of your previous answers will carry over. Your answers to the health assessment aren’t set in stone. You can go back whenever you like to update and add information.
Good news! In 2019, you (and your covered spouse) can each earn $75 by completing the Health Assessment. To get started, log in to Aetna Navigator and click on "Take your Assessment" under the "Stay Healthy" section on the home page.
Step 2 — Receive a Personalized Health Report and Action PlanBased on your answers to the health assessment, you will receive recommendations and an action plan based on your unique needs. You can choose to participate in that program or any of the other available online interactive wellness programs. The best part is you decide how you want to proceed, and you work through the programs at your own pace.
Step 3 — Use the Online Wellness Journeys to Reach Your GoalsOnline Journeys are another part of the wellness program. When you complete the health assessment, you’ll get an action plan with recommended online health coaching programs. You can follow the programs at your own pace to lose weight, eat healthier, start an exercise program, manage stress or even get a better night’s sleep without medication. Each program features “Journeys” that tailor tools and content to your particular needs and goals. The average time to complete a Journey is 32 days.
Good news! In 2019, you (and your covered spouse) can each earn $75 for each Journey you complete (up to 4 Journeys).
Get personal attention to manage your chronic conditions
If you've been living with a chronic condition, support is available as part of your health plan. The Aetna Health Connections Disease Management Program provides education and information from nurses who can:
- Help you better understand your condition and stay on track with your doctor-prescribed treatment plan.
- Answer questions and mail helpful information to your home.
- Develop an action plan that addresses your unique health needs.
- Recommend online coaching programs you can follow at your own pace.
- The program supports more than 35 conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, cancer, high cholesterol, cancer and more.
- The program is voluntary. If you could benefit from its services, a program nurse may call to invite you to participate. However, you don’t have to wait to be contacted. You can learn more and get started by calling Aetna at 1-866-269-4500, or log in at www.aetna.com.
- Complete 3 calls with a disease management nurse and earn a $75 Health Incentive Credit.
Good news! Beginning in 2019, you'll also have access to Healthy Lifestyle Coaching. With this program, you can participate in group sessions with people who want to make the same healthy changes you want to make, along with one-on-one sessions with your Aetna wellness coach. The coach will help you with wellness goals, such as losing weight, eating better, reducing stress, quitting smoking and more.
Personalized 'To Do' list to improve your health
Aetna’s Member Health Engagement Plan helps you take action to maintain and improve your health with a customized “To Do” list. This list of action items is based on your health needs and risks as identified from your health assessment and Personal Health Record.
Here are some examples of items that could be on your “To Do” list:
- Have a preventive care exam or screening
- Keep your blood pressure less than 130/85
- Eat a healthier diet
- Increase your physical activity
- Track your weight
- Get the flu vaccine
- Keep your triglycerides less than 150
- Keep your HDL cholesterol above 40
For example, in your health assessment you indicate that you have not had a preventive care exam in the past year. This answer will trigger a “To Do” reminding you to have your preventive care exam. You’ll find your “To Do” list within your Personal Health Record on Aetna Navigator, log in to www.aetna.com. Under the "Stay Healthy" section, click on "Personal Health Record."
Quitting smoking or any tobacco product is the single most important step you can take to improve the length and quality of their life. The tobacco cessation benefit that is part of the plan makes it easier to afford the combination of medication and counseling that works best for you. The DoD NAF plan covers:
- Up to a 180-day supply of the following medications with a valid prescription: Bupropion SR, Nicotine gum, Nicotine inhaler, Nicotine lozenge, Nicotine nasal spray, Nicotine patch and Varenicline.
- Eight smoking cessation counseling sessions per calendar year with a participating provider.
For more information, call Aetna Member Services at 1-800-367-6276.
Understand heart disease
If you suffer from heart disease you're not alone. Millions of Americans live with heart disease, stroke or a cardiovascular condition every day. Aetna's Heart for Life program can provide education:
Get maternity support
Welcome to the Aetna Maternity Program
Whether you’re a new or experienced mom, you may have a lot of questions or need reliable information and support. That’s where Aetna we comes in. You can count on us to help give your baby a healthy start in life. Our knowledgeable team of experienced obstetric nurses understands the joys and challenges of parenthood.
With the Aetna Maternity Program, count on us to offer you:
• Helpful facts on prenatal care, labor, delivery, newborn care and more
• A survey to review your health and pregnancy
• A personal nurse, if you have health conditions that may affect your pregnancy; they’ll keep all information confidential
Refer to the Healthy Pregnancy Handbook throughout this journey. And know that we’re here for you from the very beginning.
Manage migraine headaches
If you suffer from migraine headaches, you know how disruptive to your daily life they can be. Learning how to identify, prevent and treat migraine headaches will help you get relief and get back to enjoying your life. Your doctor can provide you with the best advice, but there are things you can do to help cope with migraines. Your Aetna plan offers the Migraine Management program to provide additional support.